300 Year Old House Gets a New Roof - Renovation / Reconstruction Pt-1 - Video

JOE JET

• Editors

This is the project I've been working on over the last couple of months. Turn on the CC for subtitles. We were sub contractors for "Strabag" company and our task was to make new wooden structure between ground and first floor, first floor and the attic and also the roof. Unfortunately I didn't film the part where we made the structures between the floors but I did the most interesting part, the roof. The house itself is located in the town of Primošten and I was told it was build over 300 years ago. During It's rich past, it was a military  barracks, hospital, school, and finally a famous fish specialty restaurant in the fifties called "Vila Fenč". A smaller addition to the house was also built at this time. It closed in 1991 during the homeland war and was slowly decaying ever since.. Now it is getting back it's former glory! 🙂 when completed, It will feature a luxury restaurant and 3 five stars apartments. The walls are only thing that was left when we arrived on the site, they are 50 cm thick, made from stone and mortar. The facade is made with great care but the core of the walls was made with whatever they could use, leftover bricks, roof tiles, small stone chips.. Modern standards required the parts of the house to be strengthened with reinforced concrete to meet modern seismic standards.Vertical and horizontal RC  columns and beams have been done and they also poured RC slabs on top of our wooden structures to connect the walls to each other. All this greatly improved the seismic resistance of this building and still kept the original outside appearance. It also provided the strong base to which we could anchor our roof structure. Parts of the interior will be kept in it's original state and parts will be modern. The roof is made in glulam. Posts and central beam are 16x16 cm, rafters are 10x20cm and ties are 8x16cm. Original plan was to make the roof using our cnc robot but when we came to the job site and took the measurements, we realized it would be almost impossible. No two walls were parallel, there was no 90° angle to be found, roof slopes were different on each side and so on.. So we decided to bring the material and make it on site. Took a bit longer than originally expected, but I'm pleased how it turned out. Hopefully it will hold for the next three centuries 😉 Part two will be up in about two weeks and will show traditional clay tile roofing.

Thank you for watching! If you liked this video, don't forget to press that thumb up icon and subscribe for more! 😄

• Editors

Part 2 of the project I've been working on over the last couple of months. CC on for subtitles. After we assembled the wooden structure, it was time to cover it. First we nailed 12mm osb on top of our structure, then we covered it with water insulation membrane which is vapor permeable. Then the vertical and horizontal battens were nailed and screwed trough osb into glulam.  The Old roof was covered in baked clay tiles which were mortared into place, we used the same shape modern tiles which we glued together using PU foam so the strong gusts of wind couldn't lift them up. Also each tile is connected to the batten with a hook. We usually don't mortar the ridge but we did in this case because conservators demanded keeping the original look.  
Thank you for watching! If you liked this video, don't forget to press that thumb up icon and subscribe for more! 😄